With Halloween right around the corner, it's time to start carving your pumpkins! But instead of throwing those seeds away, here are three quick and easy recipes for healthy roasted pumpkin seeds that you won't want to put down. I made the garlic powder ones in these photos, but it's an easily adaptable recipe for pretty much any spice you'd like to use!
- 10 minutes prep
- 40 minutes bake
- 1 medium pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea sal
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning of your choice (garlic powder, cinnamon, currey)
Heat the oven to 325 degrees and grease a baking sheet with non-stick olive oil spray, set aside.
Start by carving a medium-sized pumpkin. Separate out the seeds and "guts" as much as you can, and set the pumpkin aside. Put the seeds in a bowl and rinse them under water. The guts will sink and the seeds will float, making them easy to remove. Pat dry on paper towels (they don't have to be completely dry) and return to bowl.
Now, heat up your tablespoon of coconut oil and drizzle it over the seeds, stirring until they are all coated.
Toss in your salt, pepper, and spices and mix until evenly coated. Spread pumpkin seeds in a thin layer and bake at 325 for 30-40 minutes. Keep a close eye on them however; smaller seeds won't need as much cook time, so you want to take them out when they start browning around the edges and are easy to bite into.
- 2 cups pumpkin seeds: 570 calories, Net Carbs: 44g, Protein: 24g, Fat: 24g
- 1 TBSP coconut oil: 117 calories, Net Carbs: 0g , Protein: 0g, Fat: 14g
- Sea Salt = 0
- 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper: 3 calories Net Carbs: .75g (less than 1) Fat: 0 Protein: 0
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder 5 calories Net carbs:1g Protein: 0 Fat: 0
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon: 3 calories Net Carbs: 1g Protein & Fat: 0
- 1 tsp curry powder: 6 calories Net Carbs: 1 g Protein & Fat:0