Day 4: Cardio and Abs/Core
15-25 minutes (go at your own level. If you’re a beginner you still may not feel up to doing 25 minutes while someone doing the advanced workouts may go the full time, etc.) of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). You can do one of the 3 option below (I recommend you choose one that you did NOT do on Tuesday of this week):
- Option 1: Sprints/Jogging
- Option 2: Burpees
- Option 3: Stairs
- Start off with a 2-minute warm up of high knees or jumping jacks (low-impact if needed) just so your muscles are warmed up.
- Then move into the HIIT training by doing the sprints/jogging or burpees as quickly as possible for 20 seconds, followed by 10-15 seconds of complete rest. Then 20 seconds of high intensity and again 10-15 seconds of rest. Repeat this for 15-25 minutes depending on your level (or for as long as you can. These short intervals are difficult so if you can’t finish the full time that’s okay). **** If you choose stairs: If you’d like to run stairs instead I recommend jogging or running up as fast as possible (taking the stairs 2 at a time is even harder) and then walking back down and then repeat that for the time listed.
After you’ve finished your HIIT cardio training you’ll move into core.
Core exercise Super Set:
- Hold plank position (see video, you can do these on your knees if you’d like) until failure (so until you can’t keep proper form)
- Then hold side plank until failure, switch sides and hold on the other side until failure
- Genie Sits (See video for instruction). Do this motion for 30 seconds.
- Oblique V Sit- (See video for instruction) Sit on the ground with your knees up, feet on the ground. Lean back until your core is engaged (for added difficulty you can also lift your feet slightly off the ground balancing on your butt). Take your hands and either with a light weight (or no weight at all) and twist and touch the weight (or your hands) to the ground and then twist on the other side to do the same. Repeat this for 30 seconds.
- Superman Exercise Move (See video for instruction). Do this motion for 30 seconds
- Repeat these ab/core exercises back to back (which is one set). Once complete, repeat 1-2 more times depending on your level/ability.
Great job! Your workout is complete. Stretch your legs and core/abs as you cool down.